The firm has a substantial litigation practice in the United States and internationally and is particularly experienced in prosecuting civil claims under the U.S. Racketeer Influence Corrupt Organization Act (“RICO”), which provides for the recovery of treble damages and attorney fees. The firm has litigated some of the largest RICO cases in the United States based on fraud and other misconduct arising from commercial matters in Russia, including disputes in the aluminum, diamond, oil, and titanium sectors.
Recent representative cases include:
- Representation of a Russian industrial company against foreign investors for recovery of $150 million that was improperly diverted in a trade fraud scheme. The case was resolved with a favorable settlement for the plaintiff.
- Representation of foreign trading partners of a Russian aluminum factory in a $2.7 billion suit whose contracts were abrogated in sham bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of a foreign investor in a suit against Russia’s largest oil company for $3.6 billion for wrongdoing related to the denial of rights to develop one of the world’s richest diamond fields. While still at the procedural stages, the firm has had a substantial victory in the case already. A landmark decision of the Colorado Supreme Court reversed a lower court’s decision dismissing a claim against Russia’s largest oil company for lack of personal jurisdiction. The case is pending in Colorado state court.
- Representation of a Canadian oil company in a $1.5 billion suit in New York against U.S.-based entities engaged in a massive racketeering scheme to take over a substantial portion of the Russian oil industry.
- Representation of shareholders in a suit against new owners for claims in excess of $1 billion related to the illegal seizure of a Russian vanadium plant.
- Representation of a Russian translation company in a lawsuit against the International Accounting Standards Committee Foundation relating to the licensing of translations in the U.K., Russia and Ukraine. The lawsuit was resolved in a favorable settlement for the Russian translation company.
- Successful representation of shareholder of a Ukrainian ferro-alloy plant in a in a dispute over the management of the world’s largest ferro-alloy plant. The action was filed to vindicate the rights of good-faith investors who suffered damages exceeding hundreds of millions of dollars. The case was resolved with a favorable settlement for our client.
- Obtaining a preliminary injunction freezing over $6 million of the defendants’ assets under West Virginia law in a dispute involving metals plants in the United States and Poland.
- Representation of individuals in an action for breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing against Corestates Bank (n/k/a Wachovia Bank). The court held the bank liable for $1,150,000 plus over $680,000 in pre-judgment interest.