Aviation Transactions and Compliance
Marks & Sokolov attorneys advise businesses and individuals worldwide on business aviation transactions, including regulatory compliance, import and export issues, financing, insurance, safety risk management, and tax and customs-clearance planning for aircraft ownership and operation in Russia. We have represented clients in multiple aircraft sales, financings and leasing transactions and the setting up of ownership structures and trust arrangements for the aircraft.
Our aviation practice is headed by Derek Bloom, a fluent Russian speaker and expert on Russian and U.S. business aviation matters. He is a regular speaker at industry conferences and writes frequently for industry publications.
We are dedicated to providing quality professional representation and expert consulting services in both routine and emergency aviation issues.
SIGNIFICANT MATTERS INCLUDE:
- Advice to family wealth management offices on the business aircraft transactions of their clients, including the placement of aircraft with Russian and European operators, and the registration of aircraft in the U.S. and Russia.
- Advice to global operators of business aircraft on the operation of business aircraft within Russia on private and commercial flights.
- Tax planning for aircraft transactions, including advising on the financing and management of
- Led a working group that included representatives of Bombardier, Embraer, Gulfstream, Dassault and Cessna, the Trade Representatives in Moscow from the U.S., Canada and France on work to obtain an exemption from import VAT for aircraft imported to Russia, thereby contributing to the creation of a zero percent VAT rate for aircraft imported to Russia commencing on January 1, 2020.
- Completed acquisitions of Boeing aircraft by a Russian airline.
- Collaborate with international law firms on complex international aircraft transactions.
- Advice on the negotiation of agreements to acquire fractional ownership interests in business aircraft