Marks & Sokolov has handled cross-border commercial disputes in connection with joint ventures and corporate transactions and frequently in matters that have required lawyers fluent in Russian. Our practitioners advise clients under major arbitration rules and are experienced in a vast range of venues, including the:
- ICC – International Chamber of Commerce
- AAA – American Arbitration Association
- ICDR – International Centre for Dispute Resolution
- LCIA – London Court of International Arbitration
- UNCITRAL – United Nations Commission on International Trade Law
- ICSID – International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes
- SCC – Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce
SIGNIFICANT MATTERS INCLUDE:
- Obtained dismissal of $1 million+ breach of contract claim brought by a Russian coal supplier against a U.S. broker/distributor, at ICC arbitration in Geneva.
- Defeated $6.5 million arbitration claim brought before the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris, France related to cancellation of a contract to dismantle a steel mill in Ohio for shipment to Ukraine.
- Represented Russian franchisee invalidating franchise contracts before the Court of Arbitration for Resolution of Economic Disputes at the International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation.